Help Fill Sunday Salon’s Balikbayan Box for Typhoon Victims!
Please help the victims in the Philippines who have been directly impacted by devastating typhoons. The people of Caba, a small fishing town in La Union Province, have been affected by the second major typhoon to hit the Philippines last month.We will be sending, in true Filipino style, a ‘balikbayan box’ (or an extra-large cardboard box filled to capacity containing various comfort items then shipped directly to the Philippines by a specialized freight service for a flat fee).
A donation ‘balikbayan box’ will be set up at the Sunday Salon, November 15th. Please help by donating any basic items that you can spare (see list below).
Our contact in the barangay, or barrio, of Caba is Pete Gonzales, a Filipino-American painter / musician, who after over forty years of living in the US, decided to move back to the Philippines to manage a small family business of vacation guest houses, which employs many of the people from the village. Since the severe flooding began, Mr. Gonzales has been reaching out to anyone who can help in his effort to provide relief to his local community. He will receive and distribute any donated items to assure proper distribution to those in the most need.
*Rice is by far the most important staple, but any of the below items will help and be greatly appreciated.*
- Rice (5lb bags)
- Canned goods: proteins such as Vienna sausages, corned beef, cans of corn beef, Spam, pork and beans, sardines
- Instant noodles such as Top Ramen cup-o-noodles
- Instant drinks such as coffee, Taster’s Choice,Nescafe, powdered milk
Clothing: (Any summer items that you need to purge?)
- Mens S-L, Womens XS-L. Children – All sizes
- New underwear
- Light pants / jeans
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Pain relievers
- For children: coloring books, crayons, candy, small toys
Below is an additional list from The Philippine National Red Cross:
- Food items: Rice, noodles, canned goods, sugar, iodized salt, cooking oil, monggo beans
- Medicines: Paracetamol, antibiotics, analgesic, oral rehydration salts, multivitamins and medications to treat diarrheal diseases
- Non-food items: Bath soaps, face towels, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, plastic mats, blankets, mosquito nets, jerry cans, water containers, water purification tablets, plastic sheeting, and laundry soap
If you want to send items directly to Caba, you may send to the following address:
Mr. Pete Gonzales
Paiko Shores Resort
Barangay, San Carlos
Caba, La Union, Philippines
Thank you in advance for helping the people of Caba, La Union, and special thanks to thanks to writer Erica Miguel for bridging us to the community of Cabo!